This is delicious, low-fat and super-easy ... I like to load it up with extra cilantro and tomatoes. Also try using lime juice in place of the lemon juice for a little different taste. It's a perfect vegetarian main dish salad, or serve it as a side dish with grilled or roasted pork or ham. Prep time includes time spent in the refrigerator blending flavors; yield depends on whether salad is eaten as the main dish or as a side dish.
- 1 (14 ounce) can black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 slices onions, minced
- 1 medium tomato, peeled,seeded and chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt (or less if you prefer)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl; let sit in refrigerator for a couple of hours to blend flavors.
- Salad tastes best at room temperature.