Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
Lovely moist delicious cake!! From Cooking for diabetics.
- 1 large banana
- 1 cup lowfat margarine, spread (i use Becel)
- 1 cup pitted dates
- 5 eggs
- 2 3⁄4 cups whole wheat flour (or half whole wheat and half all purpose flour)
- 3⁄4 cup walnut pieces
- 4 large lemons
- Preheat oven to 350f degrees.
- Lightly grease a deep 8 inch removable bottomed or springform cake pan.
- Line the bottom of the pan with baking parchment or waxed paper.
- Peel and chop the banana.
- Process with the lowfat spread and dates.
- Add 1 egg and 1 tablespoon of the flour to the creamed mixture.
- Process briefly to mix, then add the remaining eggs one at a time, eaach with another 1 tablespoon flour.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl and fold in the remaining flour, with the walnut pieces.
- Grate the rind from 3 lemons and thinly pare the rind from the fourth (for decoration).
- Squeeze the juice from 2 lemons.
- Stir the grated lemon rind and juice into the mixture.
- Spoon the batter into the prepared pan and level the top.
- Bake for 50 to 60 minutes, or until a fine skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack.
- Decorate with the pared lemon rind.