Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is based on Mirjam's "Mideastern Lemon Chicken". This is a really yummy recipe, THANKS Mirjam!
- 1 cup long grain white rice, uncooked
- salt, to taste
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 lemon, rind of
- 1⁄2 lemon, juiced
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon rosemary
- 1⁄2-1 cup frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
- Cook rice in boiling salted water until almost, but not quite, done.
- Drain rice and return to pot.
- Meanwhile, melt butter in a small skillet over low heat, add onion and cook until browned, I usually add a few drops of oil so that the butter won't burn.
- Add the onion and the rest of the ingredients to the rice, cover and cook on low heat for 5 to 10 minutes until completely done.
I'm sorry but this rice didn't go well at all with anyone in this household. Unfortunately, we had some family friends' come over for dinner today, and they were very dissapointed with this rice as were my parents. I had really expected this to turn out very nice. I had used a combo of greenpeas, celery and carrots for the vegetables(1 cup in total). Since we dont have butter(we use oil usually in basic food), I substituted the butter with oil. Also, I used thyme leaves as a substitute for the rosemary(after checking on Zaar for the best substitute for rosemary)as I had run out of it. I used about 3/4 tsp. of salt(maybe I should have used more?). What I think will really improve the flavour of this rice is using vegetable stock instead of water. Next time, I'll use 2 cubes of Maggi Vegetable Stock with onion boiled and dissolved in 2.5 cups of water instead of plain water to cook the rice. That, in my opinion, should do the trick!
This would be food with fish or chicken. I ate it alone as a light meal for myself and really enjoyed it. The lemon adds a nice twist to the typical rice sides I've tried. DH picked up quick-cooking rice by mistake, but it turned out just fine. I took najwa's advice and added a couple of drops of olive oil to the butter and it worked well. I only wish I had used more onion.
I made this last night and I really enjoyed it. I served it with fish. I made some adjustments to fit my tastes though. I don't like onion that much so I left it, the butter, and the lemon rind out. I juiced 2 lemons, used Veg-All instead of frozen vegetables, and added some garlic powder and lemon pepper salt. Thanks for the new recipe!