Recipe by Lorraine of AZ
Because of the medication he is taking, my DH cannot eat fruit though he can eat veggies. Please don't ask me to explain. Anyway this recipe is getting lots of use. It is a very pretty molded salad with a bit of history in our family. The first time I made it, I made it a day ahead for a function. I had difficulty unmolding it the next morning, however, so in desperation I held the mold upside down under the hot water faucet. Needless to say, out came the jello right into the sink and sliding toward the garbage disposal. I frantically grabbed at it but it was like grabbing a ghost. It wasn't till my hand followed the salad right into the disposal that I came to my senses. Luckily I had time to make and set another salad! Note that cooking time is actually chilling time. Recipe comes from "The Ham Cookbook."
- 2 (3 ounce) boxes lemon Jell-O gelatin
- 1 3⁄4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup shredded carrot
- 1 cup finely shredded red cabbage or 1 cup green cabbage
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pimiento (optional)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon vinegar
- 1 diced cucumber (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Dissolve the jello completely in the boiling water.
- Cool until slightly thickened. Stir in remaining ingredients. Pour into mold and chill four hours or overnight, until set.
- You may add a few radish roses for decoration before the mixture is completely set.