Prep 25 mins
Cook 25 mins
Sweet & Savory Shortbread Cookies
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon thyme or 1 teaspoon thyme leaves, chopped
- 1 teaspoon finely shredded lemon peel
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 3⁄4 cup butter
- 1 dash coarse sugar (optional)
- Preheat oven to 325°F in a large bowl stir together flour, powdered sugar, cornmeal, thyme, and lemon peel. Drizzle with honey; do not stir. Using a pastry blender, cut in butter until mixture resembles fine crumbs and starts to cling. Knead dough until smooth; shape into a ball.
- On an ungreased cookie sheet, pat mixture into a 9-inch square. Using a pastry wheel or sharp knife, cut into desired shapes; do not separate. If desired, sprinkle with coarse sugar. Bake 24 to 30 minutes or until bottom starts to brown and center is set.
- Remove from oven. While warm, remove shortbread. Cool completely on cookie sheet on a wire rack. If desired, drizzle honey over each cookie before serving and garnish with thyme sprigs. Makes 36 servings.
- To Store: Layer cookies between sheets of waxed paper in an airtight container. Store at room temperature for 2-3 days or freeze up to 3 months.