Recipe by Whisper
I love anything lemon! These are so good, just a little tart with the powdered sugar sweetness on top. The problem is, I can't stop with just one! This recipe came from my friend Cindy. It takes a little bit of fussing, but so worth it. Prep time does not include chill time.
Top Review by Chabear01
Made these twice for my Lemonheads in the family. First time I found the salt overwhelmed the lemon, so I reduced it to 1/2 tsp, and will probably reduce it to 1/4 tsp next time as we really want to taste the lemon. I might also add one slight suggestion on the filling you might want to either state how long to cook it or to what thickness it should be cooked to. Otherwise I defy anyone to try to eat just one of these, I can't they are so darned good I can down a half dozen and want still more. These are delicious two bite cookies, easy to make, and so fun to give to the Lemonheads in your family. Thank You Whisper for sharing this keeper of a recipe.
- 1 2⁄3 cups flour
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup margarine, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 -3 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon margarine
- confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In medium bowl, combine first 4 ingredients; blend well.
- Chill dough.
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls.
- Place on ungreased cookie sheets.
- With thumb, make imprint in center of each cookie.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until lightly brown.
- To make filling, combine all filling ingredients in medium saucepan, except for confectioners sugar.
- Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until smooth and thickened.
- Top each cookie with filling.
- Sprinkle with confectioners sugar.
- Store single layer, loosely covered.