Recipe by Boomette
This recipe is from Coup de Pouce, is healthy, no sugar added, only 90 calories per square. See note on bottom of recipe.
Top Review by CaliforniaJan
These are a lovely little snack bar that doesn't taste low calorie. Easy to make and they keep well, but since they are tasty, they didn't last long! Made for Basement tag game.
- 1⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄2 cup Splenda sugar substitute
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened creamy applesauce
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 drops yellow food coloring (obtional)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
Cream Cheese Icing
- 1⁄2 cup light cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon Splenda sugar substitute
- 1⁄2 teaspoon lemon zest
Directions See How It's Made
- Cake: In a bowl, with a mixer, beat butter until light. Add splenda and eggs, and beat for 1 minute. Add applesauce, lemon zest, vanilla and yellow food coloring and beat until mixture is homogeneous.
- In a bowl, mix flour, baking powder and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the butter mixture, folding delicately. Spread the dough in a greased 8 inches square pan. Cook in center of a preheated oven of 350 F for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Put the pan on a rack and let cool.
- Icing: In a bowl, with a mixer (clean), beat cream cheese and splenda until creamy. Add lemon zest while beating. Spread the icing on the cold cake. Cut in 16 squares.
- Notes : you can add 2 tablespoon of ground flax seeds. This recipe can be doubled and put in freezer (without icing).