Prep 7 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe came from my mom's New Southern Basics cookbook. I'm usually pretty fussy about my lemon squares, but these are the best ive come across so far.
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 lemons, juice and zest of, grated
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Preheat oven at 350.
- Mix together flour and sugar.
- Cut the butter into pieces and mix in just until the mixture will cling together.
- Press the crust into the bottom of a 9-inch square pan and bake for just 10 minutes.
- Zest the lemons before you juice them.
- Beat the sugar into the eggs and stir in the rest of the ingredients.
- Pour over the pre-baked bottom layer and cook for another 20 minutes longer, until the filling is set.
Have said it before & I'll say it again ~ Love those lemon bars! And, this recipe is no exception! The lemons I used were large ones, so the amount of juice & zest was probably more than one would normally use, but the result was AN OUTSTANDING BAR! I did get 9 squares from the 9"x9" baking pan, & for the sweet-&-tart of them, that was a large enough serving for us! Thanks for posting your recipe! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]