Prep 15 mins
Cook 5 hrs
Yet another one from "The Higher Taste." I haven't tried it yet. It does take some attention with the stirring while it's freezing, but please enjoy.
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 1 drop yellow food coloring (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- In a bowl, combine whipping cream and sugar. Whip with mixer on high speed until cream is stiff.
- Fold in lemon juice, yogurt, and lemon peel. Add coloring at this time, if desired.
- Put in freezer. Stir every 45 minutes until frozen (about 5 hours).
This sherbet has a wonderful texture and is very delicious - I have tried several recipes and this one is my favorite by far. One lemon seemed like it wouldn't be enough, so I put in 1/4 cup of lemon juice, which ended up being 2 lemons. I also made mine in an ice cream maker which worked great!
This was fabulous. The look on my sister's face when she tried it was priceless. Her eyes went from wide to wider. We quadrupled it, and it was incredibly rich. I think next time I will use whole milk instead of the whipping cream so that I can eat more. I should add that we made it in the ice cream machine and used limes instead of lemons.
Excellent flavor. I had to use double cream instead of the whipping cream, but it still came out superb. I just used a little less cream and a little milk to balance it. Thanks for sharing this recipe. It's been nice to be able to share a part of my childhood with my husband here in England.