Recipe by Annacia
Most scones are loaded with fat, but not these.
Top Review by Tea Jenny
Wow! these are so nice, I wasn't sure about the cardamon flavour I thought it might be to overpowering but I was so so wrong. The combination of the lemon and the cardamon was fantastic. I used hemp oil and my own homemade yogurt made with 1% dried skimmed milk and I added lemon extract to it. I also used the splenda and sprinkled the top with brown demerara sugar. They have just the right amount of sweetness, and they were so light and fluffy inside. I do like a nice scone and this is one that I will be making often. I am waiting on my friend visiting and can't wait to see what she thinks about these, I know she will love them. Made for national diabeties month November. 2010
- 2 cups unbleached flour (or all-purpose )
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom or 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Splenda sugar substitute (or sugar)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil (or soybean oil )
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup 99% fat-free lemon yogurt
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 tablespoon sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 400°F Coat baking sheet with cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine flour, baking powder, cardamom or coriander, salt, and the 2 tablespoons sugar.
- Drizzle with oil and mix with fork until evenly distributed.
- Reserve 1 tablespoon egg whites.
- Stir yogurt, lemon peel, and remaining egg whites into flour mixture.
- Stir gently with fork until mixture holds together.
- Turn onto lightly floured surface.
- Knead about 8 strokes to mix dough thoroughly.
- Pat out dough to form 8-inch circle.
- With sharp knife, cut evenly into 8 wedges.
- Arrange wedges, about 1 inch apart, on prepared baking sheet. Brush with reserved egg whites.
- Sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Bake 15 minutes, or until golden brown.