Recipe by Maito
Requested by MarraMamba in the "Lighten up your favorite comfort food" challenge. Original recipe: Lemon, Ricotta and Sour Cream Pancakes. These are delicious pancakes that are very fluffy and delicate, with a mild lemon flavor. Each serving contains 6.5 grams of fat, 2.8 grams of saturated fat, and 95 mg cholesterol (calculated from ingredient labels).
Top Review by Baby Kato
I really enjoyed these light, tender and oh so flavorful pancakes Maito. They were quick and easy to make with terrific results. I made them exactly as written and wouldn't change a thing. They were so good. Made FYC Tag Game 2015.
- 1 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 1⁄3 cup nonfat sour cream or 1⁄3 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 tablespoon Smart Balance butter spread or 1 tablespoon other regular tub margarine, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3⁄4 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon zest (from 2 small lemons, I use a microplaner)
- 1 egg
- 4 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- lemon curd or maple syrup, for serving
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix ricotta, sour cream, regular tub margarine, vanilla, buttermilk, sugar, cinnamon, salt, lemon zest, and one whole egg until incorporated.
- In a mixer fitted with a whip attachment, beat four egg whites to stiff peaks.
- Sift flour and baking powder into the bowl of ricotta and other wet ingredients, and stir until barely combined.
- In several batches, gently fold egg whites into the batter (do not re-stir the batter again after this, or it will deflate).
- Ladle approximately ¼ cup of batter for each pancake onto prepared griddle. Cook until bottom is golden brown and bubbles start to form. Flip and cook second side until done.
- We love these topped with lemon curd, but you could also try them with maple syrup.