Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe was my mom's mom's recipe for lemon meringue pie. It is my favorite pie...I even make it sometimes without the meringue.
- 1 ready pie crust
- 7 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 3 eggs, separated
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- Bake pie crust according to directions on box.
- Mix cornstarch, sugar, salt in saucepan.
- Add hot water and heat over high heat stirring constantly for about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add egg yolks, stirring constantly.
- Put back on stove on low for about 4-6 minutes or until thick.
- Remove from heat and add lemon juice and butter.
- Let cool completely before adding to baked pie crust.
- Beat eggs whites until stiff. Add 1/2 cup sugar.
- Put meringue over the lemon filling in the pie crust.
- Broil on low until meringue is lightly browned.