Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
this recipe comes from the St. Lawrence Canada back of the box recipe.
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 3 large egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 pie shell, prebaked
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 6 tablespoons granulated sugar
- Combine salt sugar cornstarch and 1/2 cup of the cold water together in a saucepot. Mix well. Gradually add 1 1/2 cups boiling water stirring well, and cook over medium heat until mixture thickens and comes to a low boil. Continue to boil one minute. Remove from heat, add a little of the mixture into the slightly beaten egg yolks, stirring well. Then add all back into the pot and return to heat, and cook one more minute.
- Remove from heat, add in the butter, lemon zest and lemon juice.
- mix well and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour cooled lemon filling into cooled prebaked pie shell, and completely cool at room temperature.
- Whip the egg whites with the cream of tartar until soft peaks form, gradually add in the sugar continue beating until stiff peaks are formed.
- Spread the meringue over the room temperature cooled pie, sealing right to the crusts edges.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5 to 10 minutes, until golden browned.
- Remove to a wire rack and continue to cool at room temperature.