From Rachael Ray...her recipes are either hit or miss... this is a HIT!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 2/3 cups sugar, plus more
- sugar, for decorating
- 2 tablespoons finely grated lemon peel, plus
- lemon peel, thin strips of peel for garnish
- 2 large eggs, plus
- 4 egg whites, at room temperature
- 1 (10 -12 ounce) jar lemon curd
- 1Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 350°F Line mini-muffin pans with paper liners. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder and salt. In a separate bowl, combine the buttermilk and lemon juice.
- 2Using an electric mixer, beat the butter on high speed until creamy, about 1 minute. Add 1 cup sugar and the lemon peel and beat until fluffy, about 5 minutes. Add the 2 eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined, scraping down the sides between additions. On low speed, beat in a third of the dry ingredients, then a third of the buttermilk mixture. Repeat, alternating ingredients, until the batter is smooth.
- 3Spoon the batter into each liner, about three-quarters full. Bake until a toothpick comes out clean, about 20 minutes. Let cool on a rack.
- 4In a heatproof bowl, whisk together the remaining 2/3 cup sugar and the egg whites. Place over a saucepan of barely simmering water, making sure the water doesn't touch the bowl, and heat just until the sugar dissolves, whisking constantly. Remove from the heat and beat on high speed until stiff, glossy peaks form.
- 5Spread a thin layer of lemon curd over each cupcake and dollop the meringue on top. Toss the lemon peel strips in sugar to coat, and place one on each cupcake.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lemon Meringue Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (23 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 24
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 161.4
- Calories from Fat 73
- Total Fat 8.2 g
- Saturated Fat 5.0 g
- Cholesterol 38.1 mg
- Sodium 53.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 14.2 g
- Protein 2.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: