Prep 15 mins
Cook 55 mins
Decided to place this here for safekeeping. Found it in July 2005 Chatelaine recipe section. Flecks of green pistachios make this luscious lemon loaf even more appealing. The sweet tart lemon glaze helps keep the bread incredibly moist. Haven't tried it yet but sure plan to do so!
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup coarsely chopped shelled pistachios
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄4 cups granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350°f.
- Lightly oil or spray a 9 x 5 inch (2L) loaf pan.
- In a medium size bowl, using fork, stir baking powder with flour and salt.
- Grate peel from lemon and stir into flour mixture.
- Chop nuts (coarsely).
- In a large bowl, using an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth (medium speed).
- Beat in 1 cup of sugar gradually until well mixed (2 minutes).
- Beat in milk, eggs, vanilla.
- With wooden spoon, stir in flour mixture until batter is moist.
- Stir in nuts.
- Do not overmix.
- Scrape batter into prepared loaf pan and smooth top.
- Bake in centre of oven until deep golden brown, approximately 55 - 65 minutes.
- Squeeze 3 tablespoons of juice from lemon into small bowl. Add 1/4 cup sugar.
- Poke holes in loaf when removed from oven.
- Drizzle or glaze 1/2 lemon glaze over hot loaf.
- Cool in pan 10 minute then run knife around inside of pan to loosen loaf.
- Remove from pan and carefully adjust loaf so that it is upright and evenly glaze remaining glaze over top.
- This is good either warm or room temperature.
- May cool completely, wrap in plastic, then foil.
- Will keep at room temperature 1 day; refrigerated up to a week or freeze up to 2 months.