Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a copycat recipe.
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 6 egg whites
- 1 tablespoon chopped grated lemon, rind of
- 1 ounce lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 ounces buttermilk, room temperature
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup lemon juice
- To make the cake: Preheat the oven to 350°F Butter, flour and line a 3-inch-by-8-inch or similar loaf pan with parchment paper.
- Sift together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a mixer.
- Stop the mixer and scrape down the sides, then slowly begin to beat again.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating each in completely between each addition.
- Add the lemon zest, beat again, and scrape down the bowl.
- Mix the lemon juice with the buttermilk.
- Again, slow the mixer and alternately add the flour mixture and the liquid, beating completely between each addition.
- Increase the speed to high and beat for an additional minute to aerate the mixture, building the structure of the cake.
- Wipe down the sides with a spatula and beat for 30 seconds.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, filling it half full.
- Bake 45 to 60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the lemon syrup.
- To make the lemon syrup: Combine all ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce the heat to simmer and heat until the sugar dissolves.
- Turn off the heat and let stand.
- To finish: When the cake comes out of the oven, use a wooden skewer or similar item and poke holes in the top of the cake.
- Drizzle half the syrup over the cake.
- Let stand for 15 minutes, then turn out the cake on a sheet of plastic wrap and poke holes in the bottom of the cake.
- Pour the remaining syrup over the bottom of the cake.
- Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and chill for 1 to 2 hours.
- Alternative: If you dont want a lemon syrup, you can make a lemon glaze by combining 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice with 1 cup powdered sugar.
- Drizzle over the top of the warm cake.
- Yield: Makes 1 cake.