Recipe by Feingold Mom
My children love lemon cake, but I couldn't find one that wasn't full of garbage. So I made my own. Enjoy.
- 1 cup butter
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 (14 ounce) cans sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (8 ounce) whipped topping (I use the organic frozen kind)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, cream butter and 2 cups confectioners' sugar until fluffy. Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in flour and vanilla, and then lemon peel. Turn batter into greased 9 inch tube pan, cake pan or bundt pan.
- Bake at 325°F (165°C) for 40 to 45 minutes, or until done. Cool. Remove cake from pan, and invert onto serving plate.
- In a large bowl, blend together, the lemon juice and 2 cans of condensed milk until thick and smooth.
- Reserve 1/2 of this mixture(about 1 1/2 c) to be used later --
- Place the remaining mixture between the cake layer
- With the remaining mixture, combine it with the whipped topping- this is to be used as frosting.
- Place both the cake and the frosting in the refrigerator about 30 minutes, this make the frosting easier to work with.
- Frost cake with frosting and place back into frig - this cakes is even better if kept in the fridge overnight.