Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I'm posting this in response to a request. It is from "The Cookie Book."
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter or 1 1⁄2 cups margarine, softened
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon, zest of, finely grated
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the butter or margarine with an electric mixer on medium high speed for 30 seconds Add the sugar, lemon zest, ginger, and cloves.
- Beat until combined.
- Beat in the egg and lemon juice until combined.
- Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer.
- Stir in any remaining flour with a wooden spoon.
- Pack the dough with a cookie press fitted with the desired plate.
- Force the dough through the press onto ungreased cookie sheets, spacing the cookies about 1" apart.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are set and beginning to brown.
- Remove the cookies with a spatula and transfer to a wire rack to cool.
I was so disappointed- I followed the recipe as written and got a real mess. The butter - flour ratio was incorrect. I salvaged what I had left of the dough to make a base for lemon squares (which didn't turn out too poorly). I googled the recipe this morning and found out that the flour should read 3 1/2 cups. Taste was good so I'd try again using the correct flour amount and rate it then.