Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
My family loves these bars. We like a lot of bottom crust. I doubled the original bottom crust recipe. If you think it's too thick you can half it.
- 1 cup corn flake crumbs
- 2 cups flour
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2⁄3 cup butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups shredded coconut
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup nuts, chopped
ICING FOR TOP
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- In mixing bowl combine corn flake crumbs, 2 cups flour, 2/3 cup brown sugar and butter, mix well.
- Press evenly into bottom of 13x9x2 inch pan.
- Bake at 275° for 10 minutes, remove from oven, set aside, increase oven temperature to 350°.
- In small bowl mix together 2 tablespoons flour and salt, set aside.
- In mixing bowl combine eggs, 1 cup brown sugar, coconut and vanilla, add flour-salt mixture and nuts, mix well, spread over baked crust.
- Return to oven and bake 20 minutes or until bars are lightly browned.
- While bars are baking make the icing, combine 1 cup powdered sugar, 1 tablespoon melted butter and lemon juice, beat until smooth.
- After bars are baked and still warm frost them.
- Cool and cut into 36 bars.
I made this exactly as the recipe said, but no one in my family got overly excited by these. Served to a friend as well, and didn't get one "I love these" or "these are good" - just a polite thank you. I really wanted to like these. My filling didn't come out looking like yours did. Kind of tasted like a granola bar. Also, my frosting was scant at best - felt it needed more. Would be pretty with a bit of lemon zest sprinkled over the top.