Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
A luscious dessert. From the Western Cookbook chapter of the United States Regional Cookbook, Culinary Arts Institute of Chicago, 1947.
- 4 eggs, separated
- 1 lemon, juice of (grate rind and reserve)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons lemon gelatin or 1 tablespoon gelatin powder
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 pint heavy cream
- vanilla wafer, crushed
- Beat egg yolks; add lemon juice, rind and 1/2 cup sugar and cook in a double boiler until it thickens.
- Dissolve the lemon gelatin in 1/2 cup hot water or soften the granulated gelatin in 1/4 cup cold water for five minutes, then dissolve in 1/4 cup boiling water.
- Add dissolved gelatin to first mixture as soon as it has cooked until thickened.; mix well and cool until it begins to congeal.
- Lightly butter an 8" square pan and coat bottom and sides with vanilla wafer crumbs.
- Beat with an whisk.
- Whip the cream until soft peaks form.
- Beat egg whites until frothy and add remaining 1/2 cup sugar a tablespoon at a time, beating well between additions.
- Fold carefully into gelatin mixture along with the whipped cream.
- Pour into prepared pan and cover with a light sprinkling of the crumbs.
- Chill until firm.