Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I heavily adapted this recipe from one I found on Epicurious. It's actally original now, since it no longer bears much resemblance to the original. Prep time does not include pre-chilling or freezing.
- Mix the zest, juice, cornstarch and sugar in a 4 qt saucepan.
- Place over medium heat and slowly whisk in the milk.
- Heat to 175 degrees, or until bubbles form around the edges, stirring quite often.
- (scalding) Meanwhile beat eggs in a large bowl.
- Temper the eggs with 1/2 cup of the hot milk and then whisk the eggs into the milk mixture.
- Heat to 180 degrees, stirring constantly.
- The custard should coat the back of a spoon.
- Do NOT allow the mixture to boil.
- Immediately stir in the cream and evaporated milk.
- Strain through a siever into a glass or metal bowl and chill in an ice bath or allow to come to room temperature, then chill until cold.
- Freeze in an ice cream maker.
- Please note: If you like a lot of zest and are good at custards, it is not necessary to strain the mixture.
- I would recommend zesting with a microplane grater in that case.
- Sugar can be reduced for a more tart product, but add about 1TB of vodka at the end to keep it from freezing too hard.
Delicious! The best ice cream recipe I've tried and I've tried many!