Prep 25 mins
Cook 15 mins
From Taste of Home. I haven't tried them yet, but I love lemony things and these look yummy!
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄4 cup shortening
- 5 -6 teaspoons milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄8 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 1⁄2-1 3⁄4 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Preaheat oven to 325*. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper liners.
- Cream butter and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Beat in lemon zest, lemon extract, and vanilla.
- Combine flour and salt; add to creamed mixture, alternating with half and half. Beat until just combined (shouldn't be too smooth).
- Fill paper liners 3/4 full of batter. Bake at 325* for 15-22 minutes, or until toothpick tests clean. Cool for 10 minutes in pan; remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- To make frosting, beat shortening in a small mixing bowl until fluffy. Beat in milk, vanilla, and lemon extract. Beat in powdered sugar until smooth.
- Once cupcakes are cool, top with frosting.
The cupcake itself was horribly heavy, dry and weighed a ton. The recipe said "beat until just combined (shouldn't be too smooth)." Well, it was like bread batter and the consistency of the cupcakes were like heavy cornbread muffins.