Recipe by graciethebaker
I received this cookie in a cookie swap this year. These were my favorites of the bunch! I haven't tried these yet, but I think that I will refrigerate the dough and make them into balls. Just to get a more "perfect" looking cookie.
Top Review by kathygok
I just made this recipe and loved the results. I added fresh copped lemon thyme leaves from the garden as I am taking them to a plant exchange and thought this would be a nice touch. They are sweet, very lemony, crisp with light brown edges and with the additional thyme leaves, have a very mild flavor of thyme -just what I was hoping for. They came out perfectly round just dropping the dough from a spoon onto the cookie sheet. When making them again, I will lightly grease the cookie sheet or use parchment as they did not just slide right off the pan when done.
- 1⁄2 cup softened butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest, finely grated
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- colored crystal sugar, for decorating
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Beat butter and sugar until fluffy.
- Add egg, lemon zest, juice, vanilla and beat again.
- In Separate bowl, Sift together Baking powder, baking soda, salt and flour.
- Add dry ingredients to wet in two batches, until just blended.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle with colored sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until edges are lightly browned.
- Cool on cookie sheet for 1 minute then move to a cooling rack.