Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
You may use this as frosting or as a filling for cake. This recipe came from a filling for a fruit tart....just fill a baked tart shell with it, top with assorted fruit, brush with melted apple jelly and voila....
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (fresh)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream (whipped to stiff peaks)
- In a double boiler combine zest, eggs, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Whisk until blended.
- Simmer over low heat until thick, trying NOT to scramble the eggs!
- When thick enough to coat a spoon, remove from heat.
- Stir in butter.
- Strain thru a mesh sieve.
- Chill until cool.
- Stir in whipping cream.
I made this to top lemon cake, and it was A HIT!! Really lemony, and so fluffy it was like a cloud! I love the buttery undertone. This will be my permanent lemon frosting, thank you so much!