Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
From the book: Step by Step Pasta Dishes. Prep time includes marinading time.
- 1 lemon, rind of, grated
- 2 lemons, juice of
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 3 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- salt and pepper
- 450 g boneless skinless chicken, cubed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 stalks celery, thinly sliced
- 175 g button mushrooms, halved
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 150 ml chicken stock
- 150 ml dry white wine
- lemon rind
- lemon twist, and
- basil sprig, to garnish
- cooked pasta, 4 portions
- In a bowl, mix together the lemon rind, lemon juice, garlic, 2 tsp of the oil, 2 tbls basil and salt and pepper.
- Add the chicken and mix well.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Heat remaining oil in a large frying pan or wok and cook the onion for 3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon, reserving the marinade, and add chicken to the pan.
- Cook until chicken is lightly browned.
- Add celery and mushrooms and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the flour and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Remove pan from heat and gradually add the stock, wine and marinade.
- Bring to boil and cook, stirring, until the mixture thickens.
- Cover and simmer gently for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in remaining basil. Garnish and serve with freshly cooked linguine.
With a wonderful combination of flavors this has great potential - good bones - but needs to be tweaked slightly for great results. The marinated chicken was just spectacular with the combination of lemon, basil and garlic well balanced and tangy. That said the marinade was just not enough to carry the same great flavors into the sauce itself making a little dull in contrast to the meat. The sauce was so mild the flavors were dwarfed by the mushrooms and celery which completed rather than blending in. I think this would easily be handled by adding more lemon (juice and zest), basil and garlic in similar proportions to the sauce itself. Thanks. Made for Photo Tag.