Recipe by Baby Kato
This is my family's version of the famous 6 layer New Orleans cake. I hope you enjoy this very special cake... it's a great celebration cake well worth the extra time and effort.
Top Review by Alexa R.
Great recipe! Except I couldn't find 8in cake pans anywhere. So I used 9in instead and only did five layers instead of six. Thank you for posting this recipe, it tastes like the lemon doberge I used to get at a bakery in louisiana. Warning to other bakers: this recipe is time consuming! Carve out at least 4 hours if you want to make this cake.
- 2 1⁄4 cups cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1⁄2 cup sweet butter
- 1⁄4 cup crisco white shortening
- 1 1⁄2 cups white sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 3 large egg yolks, room temperature
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 3 egg whites, beaten till stiff
- 1 1⁄4 cups white sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups cold water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons sweet butter
- 2 teaspoons lemon peel, finely shredded
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened, room temperature
- 3 cups icing sugar
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, finely shredded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon extract
Directions See How It's Made
- LEMON FILLING: Make the lemon filling first to allow time for it to cool. In a pan combine, sugar, cornstarch, flour and salt. Stir in cold water and cook till thickened and bubbly. Now cook for two more minutes.
- Put the beaten egg yolks into a bowl and mix with 1 cup of the hot sugar mixture. When well blended pour the egg yolks mixture back into the hot sugar mixture in the pan, bringing to a gentle boil. Stirring constantly, cook for two more minutes then remove from heat.
- Stir in butter, 1 tsp lemon peel and lemon juice, make sure to mix well. Cover with plastic wrap, cool at room temperature -- Do Not Stir again.
- CAKE: Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Grease and flour three 8" round baking pans. Combine flour, baking powder and salt in medium size bowl. Mix butter and shortening till creamy.
- Add sugar, vanilla and lemon extracts, mix until light and fluffy.
- Next add egg yolks, one at a time, beating for 1 minute each. Add milk and lemon juice together. set aside.
- Now add dry ingredients, and milk/lemon mixture alternating until well blended. Gently, fold in the egg whites. Pour 3/4 cup of batter into each prepared pan. Bake in 375 degree oven for 10 - 13 minutes, or until tested done.
- Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Remove from pans and cool on racks. Now wash, grease and flour pans again and repeat procedure. When finished you will have six cake layers.
- LEMON FROSTING: Beat cream cheese, icing sugar until fluffy. Add 1 tsp lemon peel, 1/4 tsp vanilla extract and 1/4 tsp lemon extract and beat till smooth.
- CAKE ASSEMBLY: To assemble the cake, place one layer on bottom of a cake platter. Pour 1/2 cup of lemon filling on top of cake. Repeat the above procedure with the remaining four cake layers and filling.
- Top with final layer of cake. Cover cake with plastic wrap and put in fridge for 2 hours till well chilled.
- Spread Lemon Frosting on sides and top of entire cake. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. ENJOY! ENJOY! ENJOY!