Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Golden meringue caps these tangy lemon custards. Great after grilled fish
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs, seperated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- lemon twist
- Combine 3/4 cup sugar and cornstarch in a 2-quart heavy saucepan; stir well. Add buttermilk;cook over medium heat,stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until mixture comes to a boil and thickens. Stir in butter.
- Combine egg yolks, lemon rind, and juice; beat well. Gradually stie one-fourth of hot mixture into yolks; add in remaining hot mixture, stirring constantly. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, 6 to 8 minutes or until snooth and thickened. Spoon mixture into four 10-ounce ungreased custard cups.
- Beat egg whites in large bowl at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Gradually add 1/4 cup sugar, 1 tbls. at a time, beating until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue ove custards, sealing to edge of each dish.
- Bake at 325F for 20 minutes or until meringues are browned. Cool completely before serving. Garnish if desired.
Yummy - these were super creamy and super rich! They're kind of like individual sized lemon merinque pies without the crust. I followed the recipe exactly. Both my husband and I loved them - we will definitely make this recipe again. Thanks! Ammendment to review one year later - I have made these so many times that it is now my signature recipe! The lemon custards ALWAYS turn out - the recipe is a winner!!!