- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 ounce semisweet chocolate, chopped fine
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- whipped cream
- In a small skillet, cook ¼ cup of the sugar over moderate heat, stirring with a fork, until it is melted and golden caramel in colour.
- Add ¼ cup water carefully (pour it into the side of the skillet) and simmer the mixture, stirring, until the caramel is dissolved.
- Remove from heat and stir in chocolate until it is melted.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees F.
- Scald the milk.
- In a bowl, whisk the yolks and the whole egg with the remaining ¼ cup sugar and add the chocolate mixture, whisking.
- Whisk in the scalded milk in a stream.
- Add the espresso powder, vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Strain the custard through a fine sieve into another bowl, skim the froth, and divide the custard among six ramekins.
- Put ramekins in a baking pan and add enough hot water to reach one-third up the sides of the ramekins.
- Cover pan tightly with foil.
- Bake custards in the middle of the preheated oven for 40-45 minutes, or until they are just set.
- Let them cool completely, uncovered.
- Chill, covered, for 3 hours before serving (may be made 1 day in advance and kept covered and chilled).
- Garnish each custard with a rosette of whipped cream.
Join The Conversation
I am not giving a star rating since these turned out kind of chunky and not creamy BUT it was my first time making a custard this way and having a custard done in the oven so have nothing to compare it with so could just be the chef's fault LOL. The flavour is AWESOME so that would get a 5 star rating . made for Comfort Cafe recipe of the day