Sweet Butter Pastry
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup cold butter, cut into pieces
- cold water (about 4-6 T.)
- 3 eggs
- 2 egg whites
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup finely shredded lemon peel
- 3⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup fresh blackberries
Directions See How It's Made
- Prepare crust--in medium bowl, stir together flour, sugar, and salt; using a pastry blender, cut in cold butter until pieces are pea size.
- Sprinkle 1 tablespoon cold water over par of the flour mixture; toss gently with a fork; push moistened dough to side of bowl; repeat with additional cold water, 1 tablespoon at a time until all of the flour mixture is moistened; shape into a ball.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch circle; transfer dough to a 9-inch pie plate; fit pastry to plate without stretching it.
- Trim pastry to 1/2 inch beyond edge of pie plate; fold under extra pastry; crimp edges as desired.
- Prick bottom and sides of pastry with a fork; line pastry with a double thickness of foil; bake for 8 minutes.
- Remove foil; bake for 5-6 minutes more or until pastry is golden; cool on wire rack.
- Decrease oven temperature to 350°.
- In a big bowl, combine eggs, egg whites, sugar, and lemon juice; beat with an electric mixer on medium to high speed until thick and lemon colored.
- Stir in melted butter and lemon peel.
- Place blackberries in bottom of baked pastry shell.
- Pour lemon mixture over blackberries.
- Bake about 30 minutes or until lemon mixture is set; (cover pie crust edges with foil if concerned about overbrowning); cool on wire rack.