Recipe by Annacia
This is all from scratch for those times when you feel like only the very best will do. >The first 3 ingredients are the curd >The next nine are for the biscuits >The rest are the sauce Broken down like that it's not as daunting as it looks It's impossible to use the Zaar time slots for this as it's all in sections. The curd can be made the day before (in fact I recomend it). The biscuit dough is really fast useing the processor and only take 15 mins to bake and making the sauce is easy peasy and not heavily time consuming either. So ignore what it says for time and read the recipe and you'll see what I mean. *wink*
Top Review by Alskann
Very delicious and refreshing. The directions are well written out and easy to follow. It really did not take much time to make at all. I made the lemon curd earlier in the day. Then I baked the shortcakes and blueberry topping while fixing dinner. It all came together nicely and my family enjoyed a delicious and impressive dessert!! Thanks Annacia!!!
- 7 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 lemon
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons chilled unsalted butter, diced
- 8 tablespoons chilled whipping cream
- 3 1⁄4 cups blueberries (from about two 12-ounce baskets)
- 6 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons blueberry jam
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2⁄3 cup chilled whipping cream
- fresh mint sprig (optional)
- lemon slice (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- For Curd:.
- Combine lemon juice, sugar and egg yolks in heavy medium saucepan. Whisk over medium heat until mixture thickens and just comes to boil, about 6 minutes. Transfer curd to medium bowl; set aside to cool. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.).
- For Biscuits:.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Using vegetable peeler, remove peel from lemon in strips. Squeeze 2 tablespoons juice from lemon; reserve juice. Place peel and 3 tablespoons sugar in processor. Blend until peel is finely ground. Add flour, cornmeal, baking powder,salt and baking soda; process to blend. Add butter; process until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add 6 tablespoons cream and 2 tablespoons lemon juice; process just until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball; flatten into disk. Pat out dough on lightly floured surface to 3/4-inch-thick round. Using floured 2 1/2-inch-diameter cutter, cut out rounds. Gather scraps; pat out to 3/4-inch-thick round. Cut out enough additional rounds to equal a total of 6. Place on heavy large baking sheet. Brush with 2 tablespoons cream. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons sugar. Bake biscuits until cooked through and golden, about 15 minutes. Transfer to plate. Cool. (Can be made 3 hours ahead. Let stand at room temperature.).
- For Sauce:.
- Combine 1 1/2 cups blueberries, water, blueberry spread and sugar in heavy small saucepan. Stir gently over medium-high heat until mixture come to boil and berries begin to release juices, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat. Mix in 1 1/2 cups blueberries. Cool. Beat cream in medium bowl until stiff peaks form. Fold into curd in 2 additions. Cut biscuits horizontally in half. Place bottoms on 6 plates. Spoon some sauce, then lemon curd mixture over each. Place biscuit tops over. Garnish with 1/4 cup blueberries, and mint and lemon slices, if desired.