Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I made this up and to my surprise it was great. I love onions and garlic so I used more than this. I did not measure anything so everything is guess work. To put the potato on top try using a large cake decorating tip it makes it look nice and work better than trying to spread them on top. I topped ours with some cheese and DH eat three servings.
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb lamb
- 1⁄2 lb breakfast sausage (I used maple flavor)
- 1⁄2 cup onion (or more if you like)
- 2 -4 garlic cloves (use what you like for taste)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 (7/8 ounce) package brown gravy mix
- 1 cup water
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can sliced mushrooms, diced
- 1 cup corn
- 1 cup peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 cups mashed potatoes (recipe that you like)
- Saute onion and garlic in butter in large pot.
- Add beef and sausage and cook tll done.
- Stir in brown gravy mix and water till thickened.
- Stir in mushroom soup and 1/4 can of water to rinse can.
- Add mushroom, corn, and peas, stir.
- Simmer for about 10 to 15 minute.
- Transfer to a 9x13 baking pan.
- Spread potatoes over the top to cover well.
- Bake for 20 to 30 minutes at 350°F.
Yummy! My husband and all four of the kids just loved this. I wasn't sure about it at first but this was sooo easy and tasted great. Thanks!!!
Scrumptious! I have been married 11 years and have never made a shepherds pie-the ones I've been served did nothing for me. Out of desperation to use up some leftover mashed potatoes and gravy..i broke down and made this recipe. It was delicious! Very yummy and filling. Since i had gravy i didn't use the gravy pkg mix and the 1 cup water. I also substituted cooked carrots for the peas (didn't have any peas). I topped it off with a bit of shredded cheddar to keep the potatoes from drying out....very, very yummy! I think the sausage makes a huge impact in the flavor of this dish. I am now a believer in Shepherds Pie thanks to this recipe. Thanks for posting!
Ok, first, not to be pedantic, but this is technically a Cottage Pie because it uses beef (Shepherd's uses lamb), but when it tastes this good, who cares? Really loved it, and will follow this recipe from now on. Very easy to put together, wouldn't change anything direction or ingredient-wise. Thanks psyko4cats!