Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
One day with almost no time to get dinner ready and almost nothing in the refrigerator, I tossed together what I could find and ended up with this delicious hash. It ain't haute cuisine, but it was gobbled up by even our pickiest eaters. Feel free to substitute--that's the whole idea.
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb cold cuts (mix and match is ok) or 1⁄2-3⁄4 lb other cooked meat
- Saute onion and pepper in oil in a large skillet until soft.
- Add the potato cubes and saute another 2 minutes or so.
- Cut your meat into bite size pieces (large or small) and saute another few minutes.
- Add enough water to cover the food, then cover the pot and ignore it for a while while you try to set the table or make a salad or answer the phone.
- After about 10 minutes, stir and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- If it is watery, leave the lid ajar for a few more minutes to let the steam escape.
- Serve to the hungry masses, who might want to add mustard or ketchup on their plates.
- Congratulate yourself for salvaging your leftovers and your sanity.