1/1 Photo of Leeks with mustards and cheese
Leeks with cheese is a traditional dish in the Netherlands, the two mustards add a nice tang to this dish. If you are not a big mustard fan, start with using 1/2 tablespoons of the mustard.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 lbs baby leeks, trimmed and washed and cut in half
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 ounces plain flour
- 425 ml milk
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- freshly grated nutmeg
For the topping
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce grated cheddar cheese
- 1Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- 2Place the leeks in a pan of cold salted water, bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes until just tender.
- 3Drain and put under cold water immediately to refresh and stop the cooking process.
- 4Place the butter, flour and milk in a saucepan and slowly bring up to the boil whisking all the time.
- 5Once it is up to the boil, reduce the heat and let it just simmer for 2 minutes.
- 6Add the grated cheddar and parmesan, then the mustards.
- 7Season with salt and pepper and the nutmeg.
- 8Put the leeks into a shallow serving dish and pour over the sauce.
- 9Mix the breadcrumbs and the cheese together and sprinkle over the top of the leeks.
- 10Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leeks with mustards and cheese
Serving Size: 1 (270 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 460.1
- Calories from Fat 211
- Total Fat 23.4 g
- Saturated Fat 14.3 g
- Cholesterol 68.9 mg
- Sodium 458.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 47.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 9.1 g
- Protein 17.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
coarse grain mustard