Leeks with cheese is a traditional dish in the Netherlands, the two mustards add a nice tang to this dish. If you are not a big mustard fan, start with using 1/2 tablespoons of the mustard.
- 3 lbs baby leeks, trimmed and washed and cut in half
- salt and pepper
- 2 ounces butter
- 3 ounces plain flour
- 425 ml milk
- 6 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 ounce parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 tablespoon coarse grain mustard
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- freshly grated nutmeg
For the topping
- 2 -3 tablespoons fresh white breadcrumbs
- 1 ounce grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Place the leeks in a pan of cold salted water, bring to the boil and simmer for 3 minutes until just tender.
- Drain and put under cold water immediately to refresh and stop the cooking process.
- Place the butter, flour and milk in a saucepan and slowly bring up to the boil whisking all the time.
- Once it is up to the boil, reduce the heat and let it just simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add the grated cheddar and parmesan, then the mustards.
- Season with salt and pepper and the nutmeg.
- Put the leeks into a shallow serving dish and pour over the sauce.
- Mix the breadcrumbs and the cheese together and sprinkle over the top of the leeks.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes until the top is golden brown.