Leek, Potato and Spinach Soup
- Use a large knife to cut off the tops of the leeks, then shave off any rough parts and remove any coarse leaves. Trim off the roots, and cut each leek in two lengthways, then rinse under running water. Slice thinly.
- Melt butter in a large saucepan, then add the leeks. Toss them in the butter over the heat for 3-5 minutes, season with nutmeg then lay the potatoes on top. Don’t stir the potatoes through the leeks, because if they sit on the bottom of the.
- pot they can catch. Cover the pan with a lid and cook on a very gentle heat for 20 minutes.
- Stir through the salt, then add the water and hot milk. Bring it just to boiling point, stirring often, then turn heat to low. Partially cover with a lid and cook very gently for 20 minutes.
- Puree the soup in batches in a food processor or blender. For a really smooth finish, pass soup through a coarse sieve into a large bowl. Puree the spinach with 1 cup of soup, then mix this into the pot of soup. Reheat gently, check seasoning, then serve.