1/2 Photos of Leek-Bacon-Cheddar Tart
1 hr 40 mins
From "The Choice is Cheddar", Good Food Magazine, October 1986. Prep times does not include pastry chilling.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup cubed sharp cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, cold, cut into 8 pieces
- 2 tablespoons ice water (or as needed)
- 8 slices thick bacon, cut crosswise into 1/2-inch strips
- 4 medium leeks, rinsed well, dried, sliced 1/2-inch thick (white part only)
- 1 1/2 cups light cream or 1 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 3 large eggs
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese (about 4 oz.)
- 1Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- 2Place first 5 ingredients in food processor fitted with steel blade; process until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. With machine running, slowly pour in 2 T. ice water; process, adding more ice water if needed, until dough gathers into mass. Remove dough from processor.
- 3Roll dough on lightly floured surface into 13-inch circle. Transfer to 10-inch tart pan with removable bottom; press dough lightly against side of pan. Trim overhang to 1/2 inch, fold down against pan, and pinch lightly to make sturdy edge 1/4-inch taller than pan. Prick bottom with fork at 1-inch intervals. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- 4Bake tart shell until surface feels dry, 16-17 minutes. Cool completely on wire rack before filling.
- 5Meanwhile, fry bacon in heavy medium skillet over medium-low heat just until crisp and lightly browned, about 6 ninutes. Remove with slotted spoon to paper towels to drain, then crumble.
- 6Pour off all but 1 T. of the bacon fat. Add leeks and saute over medium heat until golden brown, about 10 minutes. Let stand.
- 7Whisk cream, eggs, egg yolk, salt, and pepper in mixing bowl until thoroughly blended.
- 8Place cooled tart shell on baking sheet. Scatter bacon, leeks, and cheese evenly over shell. Place baking sheet on rack in oven. Carefully pour custard into shell.
- 9Bake just until custard is set in center, 25-30 minutes. Let cool at least 15 minutes before serving. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Leek-Bacon-Cheddar Tart
Serving Size: 1 (174 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 475.2
- Calories from Fat 330
- Total Fat 36.7 g
- Saturated Fat 19.2 g
- Cholesterol 195.5 mg
- Sodium 710.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 20.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.2 g
- Sugars 2.1 g
- Protein 15.9 g