Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
the crust in this can be varying the nuts you use or replacing them with 3 tbsp of fresh chopped herbs.
- 225 g plain flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 150 g butter, cubed
- 50 g walnuts, ground
- 1 large egg yolk
- 450 g leeks, trimmed and sliced
- 40 g butter
- 450 g new potatoes, scrubbed
- 300 ml sour cream
- 3 medium eggs, lightly beaten
- 175 g gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- chives, to garnish
- Heat oven to 200C/400F.
- Sift flour and salt into a bowl. Rub butter in with fingers until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Add nuts.
- Mix egg yolk with a 3 tbsp water and add to bowl. Mix with hands to form a dough.
- Knead dough for a few mins to bring it together then wrap in cling film and chill for 20 minutes.
- Roll out pastry and use it to line a very deep flan tin or an 8 inch springform tin. Chill for another 30 minutes.
- Melt the butter over a high heat and cook the leeks for 2 - 3 minutes Lower the heat and cook for a further 25 mins until very soft. Remove from heat.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling water until almost tender. Drain and slice.
- Add the leeks to the potatoes followed by the soured cream, eggs, cheese, nutmeg and seasoning if desired. Stir well and pour into pastry case.
- Bake for 20 mins on the middle shelf. After 20 mins reduce heat to 190C/375F and cook for a further 30 minutes The filling should be set.