Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Spices and candied fruit are in these chewy cookie squares. From an article in Family Circle Magazine 12/11/1979 about delicious Christmas cookies made at the White House by their German chef. (My clipping is falling apart!)
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 1⁄2 cups flour, unsifted all-purpose
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1 pinch clove
- 2⁄3 cup almonds, sliced
- 3 tablespoons orange peel, candied, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons lemon peel, candied, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons kirsch (or orange juice)
- candied red cherries, halved
- angelica (or candied citron peel cut in leaf shapes-optional)
- Combine honey and sugar in a small saucepan. Heat slowly, stirring constantly, until honey thins and sugar dissolves; cool slightly.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves into a large bowl.
- Add almonds, candied orange and lemon peels; mix to coat.
- Add cooled honey mixture, egg and kirsch to flour mixture; stir with wooden spoon until blended.
- Knead dough together with palm of hand until mixture cleans side of bowl; shape into ball; flatten slightly.
- Roll dough between two sheets of wax paper to a 13x9 inch rectangle, slightly less than 1/4 inch thich, keeping edges as even as possible.
- Remove top piece of wax paper; flip dough onto lightly greased cookie sheet; remove second piece of wax paper.
- Brush top lightly with milk.
- Bake in a moderate over (375 degrees F) for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove cookie sheet to wire rack.
- Trim edges of cookie dough; cut into 2-inch squares.
- Make GLAZE: Combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar and 3 Tbsp water in saucepan. Cook about 5 minutes or until it registers 235 degrees F on candy thermometer.
- Brush Glaze quickly over warm Leckerli. (Do not make glaze until Leckerli are out of the oven or it will harden.)
- Decorate with candied red cherry halves and angelica leaves. (Glaze will harden and turn white.).