Recipe by Miss Annie
Truly, a wonderful soup!
Top Review by kfehrer
Prepare yourself... this soup is amazing. I also add carrots and tomato (both diced) to up the veggie content. Carrots go in with the potatoes and tomatoes go in at the very end (I throw them in about 5 min before serving... Plus I save a bit of fresh cilantro to throw in at the very end as well so it is green and fresh).
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, stems removed
- 12 cloves garlic
- olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 1 lb lentils, washed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 12 cups water
- 1 (10 ounce) box frozen spinach
- 2 medium potatoes, cubed
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
Directions See How It's Made
- Place cilantro in a food processor with garlic, 3 Tbsps olive oil, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- Process until mixture forms a paste.
- Set aside.
- Sauté onions in 1/4 cup of olive oil until light brown.
- Add lentils and mix.
- Cook on medium heat for a few minutes.
- Add cinnamon and water.
- Turn heat to medium-high and cook, uncovered, for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Turn heat to medium, add remaining salt, spinach, potatoes and cilantro paste.
- and cook, uncovered, on low heat until lentils are creamy.
- Add lemon juice and continue cooking, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- (Total cooking time about 1 1/2 hours.) This soup can be served cold, warm or hot.