Lebanese Vegetable Soup
- Ready In:
- 1 large Spanish onion, chopped (About 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 cups chopped carrots
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped potatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 4 -5 cups vegetable stock (see notes in recipe)
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 10 artichoke hearts, cut into eighths (2 14-oz cans)
- 3⁄4 cup canned chickpeas
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 2 lemons, cut into wedges
- Stock: use a combination of vegetable stock, the chick pea liquid and the artichoke heart brine.
- In a large soup pot, saute the onion in the olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the carrots. Cover.
- Stir again after 3 minutes. Add the ground red pepper, coriander, and garlic. Cover and cook for a few more minutes.
- Add the potatoes, salt and 2 cups of the stock.
- Cover the pot and bring the soup to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are nearly tender. Be careful not to overcook them.
- Gently stir in the tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and the chick peas. Salt to taste.
- Cover and simmer for 3 or 4 minutes, just to heat the tomatoes.
- Add the remaining 2-3 cups of stock or even more if you prefer more broth. Heat gently.
- It is important not to overcook or boil the soup. The potatoes, tomatoes and artichokes should be heated just enough to blend the flavors or they might disintegrate.
- Sprinkle each serving with fresh parsley and garnish with a wedge of fresh lemon.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation