Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This recipe comes from a local newspaper.......very yummy! Note: Be sure to cook the noodles well, since they are not covered in sauce, and may dry out, also, cooking time does not include boiling the lasagna noodles.
- Preheat oven to 325; grease 9 x 13 pan.
- Boil lasagna noodles in salted water until tender (NOT al dente!) Drain well and brush with oil or melted butter on both sides to keep from drying out; set aside.
- Boil the potatoes; mash.
- Saute finely chopped onion until translucent.
- Mix the mashed potatoes with cheese, sauteed onions, salt and pepper.
- In prepared baking dish, place one layer of noodles, top with half of mashed potato mixture; repeat, ending with a final layer of noodles.
- Brush the final layer of noodles with oil or melted butter before covering with coarsely chopped sauteed onions.
- Bake for approximately 1/2 hour and serve hot with sour cream and fried bacon.
This is very good. The only thing that I would do differently is that I would cover the dish in the oven for the first 20 minutes or so as the top lasagna noodles did get a bit crispy on the edges. It still tasted fine but was a bit difficult to cut. Don't skimp on the onions as you will want lots to cover the top. I did also use some under the first layer of lasagna noodles to prevent sticking which worked well. I followed the recipe as is and didn't really have trouble spreading the potatoes. I did keep them warm and I think that helped. Most of all it does taste very much like perogies and we will have it again. Thanks for sharing your recipe.
Outstanding! Comfort food, squared. The mashed potatoes need some liquid from the cooking water (or milk or broth) to make them thin enough to spread over the noodles. Making them with milk and butter is good. Nonfat cheddar cheese works fine on this; the creaminess of the potatoes compensates for the nonfat of the cheese. Only the bottom and top noodles need to be coated with oil or butter. If you only use 2 T. oil or less and nonfat cheddar, one-ninth of this casserole has about 400 calories and 10 grams of protein.