Recipe by Redsie
Another R. Reisman's great light recipes!!
Top Review by GaylaV
I thought this was very tasty and a nice change from the usual. The spices are nicely balanced and both smell and taste very good. When it is cut it looks so pretty with all the layers. I wouldn't change a thing except that my husband did not enjoy the cumin flavour so I would have to cut it way back next time. He did not enjoy it, my son loved so I am mixing our reviews and going with 4 stars.
- 1 cup drained canned corn
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 cup chopped sweet red pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped sweet green pepper
- 1 1⁄2 cups pasta sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 cups canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup shredded light mozzarella cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded light cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 5 large flour tortillas
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C). Spray a 9-inch (2.5 L) springform pan with cooking spray.
- In a nonstick saucepan sprayed with cooking spray, cook corn over medium heat, stirring often, for 8 minutes, or until slightly charred. Set aside. Add oil to pan and cook onions and garlic for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in red and green peppers; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato sauce, charred corn, basil, chili powder, and cumin; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 6 to 8 minutes, until slightly thickened. Remove from heat.
- In a bowl, combine black beans and white kidney beans.Mash roughly and stir into vegetable mixture.
- In a small bowl, combine mozzarella, Cheddar, and Parmesan cheeses.
- Place a tortilla in prepared springform pan. Spread with one-quarter of the vegetable–bean sauce. Sprinkle with one-quarter of the cheese mixture. Repeat layers three times, leaving a little cheese for the topping. Top with final tortilla; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Cover pan tightly with foil.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until heated through and cheese has melted. Cut into 8 wedges with a sharp knife.