Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a phase 1 breakfast recipe created Iron Chef style in response to a challenge.
Make and share this Layered Spinach and Ricotta Cheese bake-SBD style recipe from Food.com.
- 3 ounces fresh spinach
- 4 slices thin Canadian bacon
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small red onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 1⁄2 cup shredded low-fat cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon dried dill
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (well drained)
- salt and pepper
- extra cheese (to garnish) (optional)
- Saute the DICED Canadian bacon in a non-stick pan with two cloves of minced garlic and one diced red onion (about 1/2) cup.
- Add the fresh spinach and cook until the spinach wilts.
- Drain well.
- In a Pam sprayed glass pie plate, arrange the spinach mixture in one layer.
- Blend one cup of ricotta cheese with 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese, and two tablespoons water.
- Stir in 1 Tbsp each of basil and dill.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread this over the spinach layer.
- Drain the chopped tomatoes and spread over the cheese layer.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of shredded cheese.
- Bake until the cheese melts and begins to brown, about 30 minutes at 350 F.
Oh my! What a nice way to wake up! My husband and I had the recipe for breakfast and it was delicious. I used fresh tomato slices on the top instead of canned, because that was what I had. The flavors were so good together. Be sure and drain the spinach mixture well, and I let it sit about 10 minutes before cutting it. Thanks, Karyl Lee Carole in Orlando
I used 250 grams rindless diced bacon, TRUE! And blended ricotta and cheese with electric hand mixer too! Thought it would make it easier to spread for me! NO EGGS!!!! WOW!!! A BONUS FOR ME!! THANKS!
I made this as a side dish for dinner with pork chops and it was great! Mine was a bit runny, but I think that was because I didn't drain the tomatoes well enough or let it sit out before cutting into it. My roomie couldn't believe there was no egg and kept calling it quiche!