Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
This is a gorgeous layered salad presented in a glass trifle bowl! As a side dish for your party, a little of this salad goes a long way in giving your guests a nutritious combination of fresh greens, oven roasted chicken, and a wonderful savory dressing. Also great for a lunch -or- as a main course for a light dinner. Would be lovely for Derby Day or Mother's Day. From Boar's Head via Kentucky Derby Party. Tip: To make this a vegetarian salad, you can easily replace the chicken chunks with cubes of cheese (such as cheddar or swiss) and/or hard-cooked eggs, and it is just as good. Enjoy!
- 6 ounces plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄3 cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon poppy seed
- 2 cups torn romaine lettuce
- 2 cups peeled mangoes, slices
- 2 cups thinly sliced fresh fennel
- 2 cups mixed berries, of choice (blueberries and sliced strawberries)
- 2 cups red leaf lettuce
- 2 1⁄2 cups oven roasted chicken breast, cubed (Boar's Head)
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped mint, plus a sprig for garnish
- 2 cups mixed bite-size cubes honeydew and cantaloupes
- Whisk the dressing ingredients just until creamy,and set aside (tip: pour the dressing into a glass gravy boat for easy serving).
- Layer the salad in a glass bowl, such as a trifle bowl beginning with the Romaine lettuce.
- Follow with the mango, fennel, berries, red lettuce, chicken, mint, and melon.
- Drizzle the dressing over the top and crown with a sprig of mint.