Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
CHANNEL 8 VOLUNTEER TV, Great Mexican dish
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup chili powder
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and chopped
- 12 corn tortillas (5- to 6-inch-diameter)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chili beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups packed grated Mexican blend cheese
- 2 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Mexican-style tomatoes
- Preheat oven to 350 deg.
- Spray a 13x9 inch baking dish with cooking oil spray.
- Saute beef and onion in heavy large skillet over high heat until brown, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low.
- Mix in chili powder and jalapeno and Saute 5 minutes.
- Season mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Overlap 6 tortillas on bottom of prepared dish, covering completely.
- Spoon beef mixture, then beans evenly over tortillas.
- Cover with remaining 6 tortillas.
- Sprinkle cheese over.
- Pour tomatoes with their juices over cheese.
- Bake until casserole is heated through and bubbling at edges, about 1 hour.