Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a wonderful main coarse salad to feed 4-6 people. The dressing can be made well in advance and chilled, and will become stronger in flavor with refrigeration time. This is the perfect salad to serve at your next dinner party, not only is is the most delicious salad, it makes a beautiful presentation. If you are serving more than 4 people, I suggest to double or increase all ingredients and also the dressing.
- 6 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves (can use more)
- 1 -2 teaspoon sugar (or to taste)
- salt and black pepper
- 1 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese (optional or to taste)
- 5 -6 boneless skinless chicken breasts (cooked and cut into thick strips)
- 2 -3 avocados
- 1 romaine lettuce (torn into pieces)
- 8 -10 slices bacon, cooked until crisp
- 2 -3 large firm ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and chopped (seeds removed)
- 4 -5 ounces Roquefort cheese, crumbled (can use feta cheese also)
- 4 -5 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
- grated parmesan cheese (optional)
- Whisk together all dressing ingredients except the oil, then add in the oil in a small slow steady stream to emulsify, or prepare in a small food processor; set aside and refrigerate.
- For the salad: halve, pit and peel the avocados, then cut into about 1/2-inch cubes.
- In a large fancy see-through (8-quart) glass bowl, spread the romaine lettuce in the bottom of the bowl.
- Then top with strips of cooked chicken.
- Sprinkle chopped bacon over chicken.
- then continue layering with tomatoes, cucumbers, crumbled Roquefort, avocados and eggs (place the eggs all around the outside of the bowl).
- Sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese or more Roquefort (or feta cheese) and serve.