Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
Lawry's Prime Rib is a well-known steakhouse in Chicago. They're famous for their 'Spinning Salad', which is served with all entrees. The salad is made tableside in a bowl set into a large bucket of ice. The salad bowl is spun while they add the dressing. Lawry's is also famous for their seasoned salt but that's another recipe. Cook time is the sitting in the fridge time for the dressing.
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1 small head iceberg lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- 1⁄2 cup baby spinach leaves or 1⁄2 cup watercress, torn into sprigs
- 1 cup shoestring beet
- 1 hard-boiled egg, peeled and sieved
- seasoning salt, to taste
- seasoned pepper, to taste
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- sourdough crouton
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons applesauce
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dry sherry
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder with parsley
- 2 drops hot pepper sauce
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- In a large salad bowl, combine lettuces, spinach or watercress, beets and egg; sprinkle with seasoned salt and pepper and toss with dressing (you can spin the bowl if you want).
- Garnish each serving with cherry tomatoes and croutons.
- Dressing: In a blender, combine vinegar, water, applesauce, worcestershire sauce, sherry, seasoned salt, sugar, paprika, garlic powder and hot pepper sauce; blend on high until combined, about 30 seconds.
- With motor running on high, slowly add oil through the pour hole in the lid until combined, about 2 minutes; refrigerate several hours before serving.
I thought that this recipe came very close to the Original. I added a couple of extra vegetables i.e. carrots, green onion, red pepper and it was very good.
I got really excited when I saw this recipe.. I love the salad at the house of prime rib SF. This was okay but it didnt taste as good a tad to vinegary.