4 hrs 5 mins
From the LA Times.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
COCONUT PIE SHELL
- 1To Make The Coconut Crust: Lightly butter a 9-inch pie plate and set aside.
- 2Melt the 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium heat and brown the coconut flakes, stirring constantly, about 5 minutes. They should be golden brown. Press the coconut firmly and evenly in the pan to form a shell. Chill the crust 30 minutes before filling.
- 3For the Filling: Combine the egg yolks, 1/4 cup of the sugar, the cornstarch, salt and flour in a small bowl. Gradually add 1 cup of the half-and-half.
- 4Combine the remaining 2 cups half-and-half and 1/2 cup of the sugar in a 3-quart saucepan and bring just to boil over medium heat. Add the egg mixture and cook and stir until the mixture returns to a boil and thickens, about 1 minute. (Do not taste then re-dip your spoon. I've read that enzymes in salvia breaks down the cornstarch and makes it watery, something like what happens with leftover babyfood.).
- 5Remove from the heat. Stir in 2 drops of food coloring and the vanilla. Cover the surface with plastic wrap to prevent a skin from forming. Let cool.
- 6Slice the bananas into the pie shell. Pour the filling into the shell.
- 7Whip the cream with the powdered sugar until stiff. Spoon in dollops or pipe with a pastry bag around the edge of the pie. Chill 2 hours before slicing.
Browse Our Top Pies and Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pies and Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Lawry's Coconut Banana Cream Pie (W/Coconut Crust)
Serving Size: 1 (234 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 653.0
- Calories from Fat 427
- Total Fat 47.5 g
- Saturated Fat 32.3 g
- Cholesterol 187.8 mg
- Sodium 318.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 38.7 g
- Protein 6.3 g