Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My friend, Laura, is not eating grain for Lent, but wanted something 'bread-y'. So she made up this recipe: Scrumptious soda bread, with NO GRAIN! Light, fluffy, a bit sweet, but not cake-y, at all. Much better than the stuff made with wheat, actually.
- Grease small casserole (probably 9x11, I didn't measure).
- Mix chestnut flour, almond meal, arrowroot powder, sugar, salt, & baking powder.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry cutter or 2 knives.
- Add currants & stir to coat them. Add caraway seeds, if desired.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, & baking soda, and stir into dry mixture, just to combine.
- Pour dough into casserole.
- Brush top with egg yolk or cream.
- Bake 30 minutes, or till knife comes out clean.