Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
My friend, Laura, is not eating grain for Lent, but wanted something 'bread-y'. So she made up this recipe: Scrumptious soda bread, with NO GRAIN! Light, fluffy, a bit sweet, but not cake-y, at all. Much better than the stuff made with wheat, actually.
- 473.18 ml chestnut flour
- 236.59 ml almond meal
- 118.29 ml arrowroot
- 59.14 ml sugar
- 4.92 ml salt
- 4.92 ml baking powder
- 78.07 ml butter
- 236.59 ml currants
- 314.66 ml buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 4.92 ml baking soda
- 14.79 ml caraway seed (optional)
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- 14.79 ml cream (optional)
- Grease small casserole (probably 9x11, I didn't measure).
- Mix chestnut flour, almond meal, arrowroot powder, sugar, salt, & baking powder.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry cutter or 2 knives.
- Add currants & stir to coat them. Add caraway seeds, if desired.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, & baking soda, and stir into dry mixture, just to combine.
- Pour dough into casserole.
- Brush top with egg yolk or cream.
- Bake 30 minutes, or till knife comes out clean.