Recipe by chakrates
My friend, Laura, is not eating grain for Lent, but wanted something 'bread-y'. So she made up this recipe: Scrumptious soda bread, with NO GRAIN! Light, fluffy, a bit sweet, but not cake-y, at all. Much better than the stuff made with wheat, actually.
- 2 cups chestnut flour
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1⁄2 cup arrowroot
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1 cup currants
- 1 1⁄3 cups buttermilk
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 tablespoon caraway seed (optional)
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- 1 tablespoon cream (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease small casserole (probably 9x11, I didn't measure).
- Mix chestnut flour, almond meal, arrowroot powder, sugar, salt, & baking powder.
- Cut butter into flour mixture with pastry cutter or 2 knives.
- Add currants & stir to coat them. Add caraway seeds, if desired.
- Combine buttermilk, egg, & baking soda, and stir into dry mixture, just to combine.
- Pour dough into casserole.
- Brush top with egg yolk or cream.
- Bake 30 minutes, or till knife comes out clean.