28 hrs 30 mins
4 hrs 30 mins
This fabulous, many layered, complex borshch is compliments of Sandor Fenyvesi, an air traffic controller in Budapest, Hungary, who was educated at a special school for navigating officers and air traffic controllers in Riga, Latvia, when he was 18 years old and learned this soup while there. Serve this authentic Ukrainian soup hot to 6-8 people as a substantial first course or as a main course.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 8 cups beef stock
- 1/2 head cabbage, finely shredded (or equivalent amount of spinach)
- 3 medium potatoes, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 large red beet, shredded
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon bacon fat
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 2 peeled tomatoes, chopped (4 canned tomatoes are fine)
- 1 carrot, sliced
- 1 parsley roots or 1/2 parsnip
- 6 peppercorns
- 3 allspice berries
- 3 bay leaves
- 1 head garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons bacon fat
- fresh parsley, chopped
- 1Heat the stock in a large soup pot, add cabbage and potatoes and simmer for 15 minutes.
- 2In the meantime, mix the beets, vinegar, bacon fat, sugar, and tomatoes in a saucepan and cook gently, covered, for about 5 minutes.
- 3Set aside.
- 4Then, in another small pan, heat the butter, mix in the onion, carrot, and parsley root (or parsnip), and braise.
- 5When the cabbage and potatoes are finished simmering, add the beet mixture, the onion mixture, the peppercorns, allspice berries, and bay leaves--and cook another 10 minutes.
- 6Stir in the chopped garlic, the remaining bacon fat, and the chopped parsley.
- 7Then turn the heat down to a very low simmer, lightly cover the pot, and simmer very slowly for about 4½ hours.
- 8Turn off the heat, let cool, and allow to ripen for about 12-18 hours.
- 9When ready to serve, reheat gently then ladle into bowls.
- 10Top each with a teaspoonful of sour cream and serve with a slice of dark rye bread.
Nutritional Facts for Latvian borscht(AKA Ukrainian Borshch)
Serving Size: 1 (468 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 210.4
- Calories from Fat 44
- Total Fat 4.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.8 g
- Cholesterol 10.1 mg
- Sodium 1267.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.2 g
- Sugars 8.7 g
- Protein 8.5 g
The following items or measurements are not included: